Friday, 17 September 2010

Windsor

Went to Windsor last night. The old home. Where Laithwaites started. Took the 'Global Executive' (Americans, Australians etc) for drinks with Major General Sir Michael Hobbs, Governor of the Military Knights.

The Castle has always been a good customer of ours and I've always loved the Castle since I used to march along with the Guards Band when I was small. Sir Mike was a sentry back then. I probably annoyed him.

But now Laithwaites is one of a handful of Companies who are Companions of St Georges we pop up there occasionally for drinks. And after hours, it's a magic place. Especially some of the less frequented parts around the Chapel.

What do we drink? Theale Vineyard, of course! Wine from Royal Berkshire.

Afterwards we go salute another great old friend; Peppino Battochi, much loved proprietor of La Taverna the Italian place round behind the Theatre. It was a great day for Windsor when he opened up in 1962 - Windsor was SO stuffy back then. A real Italian Trattoria...wow!

And..he's still there, still serving, took our orders, sorted the wine, charm itself. Especially to the ladies of course. I like to take my lot there and say "You think you look after customers? Look at Peppino - every night caring for his diners and still doing it at 77. Now THAT is customer service.

Visit laithwaites.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment