Had an email from our Clare ....
Our very great Danes ....
This Friday and Saturday saw our third annual Customer Weekend with our Danes; 'Skovgaard' (our Distributors in Denmark). This event has become for me, a highlight of the year; serious business, of course, but always serious fun.
I'm not entirely sure my tales of pouring gallons of our wines down the thirsty throats of the loudest nation I've ever come across, plate-smashing and champagne-cork sabre-ing into the early hours, have entirely been believed ... So this year I took witnesses, Amye and Adam 'Hoops' and am confident they will back up my stories - if they can remember ...
It started with the RedHeads Winemaker's dinner on Friday. RedHeads has become a serious cult for our Danes. This was the first time they were to have flesh contact with THE winemaker .... The dinner was sold out months ago; they were queuing in the street to get in ... and not disappointed ... Adam seriously ROCKED the room. He is a celebrity here. He spoke brilliantly and held the 200 strong audience spell bound and silent - an extraordinary achievement in itself given their usual decibel output.
It was a 6 course dinner including crocodile bruschettas, kangaroo stew, veal carpaccio and melt-in-the-mouth beef with creamy mashed potato and sweet potato - not overly PC, granted (a Danish trait as we know) - but truly delicious and the perfect matches for the BIG RedHeads wines which were showcased and consumed in abundance - Pinball Chardonnay, sparkling red Tomahawk, Back Shed Shiraz, La Curio (the stand-out), Pierri Amarone-style and The Nebb.
Saturday saw 9 hours of full-on, loud, happy customer tastings. We poured for over 700 people. It was a great pleasure to see so many familiar faces - they're a loyal bunch, Skovgaard treats them well obviously and they certainly love the wines.
Adam was mobbed! Interviewed by the local paper, photographers were hovering and popping away, and I lost count of the number of women (and men..) Who draped themselves over him, invited him to stay here forever and promised undying allegiance to RedHeads.
Adam, I hope you will forgive me quoting you, but you summed it up so well - "I've never been to such a passionate market before. I'm quite teary actually ... Very emotional"
Needless to say, such success was toasted in viking style in to the small hours of this morning. I draw a veil...
Clare
Visit laithwaites.co.uk
No comments:
Post a Comment