If our PURPOSE is just to be...the best way there is - anywhere - to buy wine and to be where wine really comes to life...
How do we do that?
All sorts of ways, a huge number of really.
But underpinning them all; a set of VALUES we aspire to. Sounds rather too grand and boring for a Blog, but bear with me; there are only eight;
1. The way we offer the BEST VALUE wine is by just really knowing our job.
We are proper wine merchants. We just do wine. We've been buying directly from wine-producers for a very, very long time.
More enjoyment per £ is what we offer. And why we are so successful.
(It's not about the cheapest bottles. Wine is, after all, mostly water, so cheap bottles are not all that hard to do. Lovely bottles though, for not very much, is what we aim at).
2. We give our OUTSTANDING SERVICE because we want customers to enjoy not just the wine. We want all contacts with us to be a bit of a treat too. And they are; warm, personal, genuinely caring, intelligent, knowledgeable and respectful.
3. We stay 'DOWN TO EARTH' and totally open about everything - like we've always been - because customers trust us as their friends. Which is important with wine where things can often be not what they seem to be.
4. We know wine can be so much more than just a tasty drink, there are a lot of additional pleasures; the people, the places, the history, the traditions. We make sure the customers gets to enjoy every ENRICHING EXPERIENCE there is.
5. SURPRISE! Customers expect a good wine merchant to 'take the lead'. They love new wines, new regions, curiosities and rarities from someone they trust. We've always supplied plenty of this, it's what we are known for.
6. ENDURING RELATIONSHIPS. Very important to look after them...with customers, suppliers, and staff. Very, very important these friendships.
7. ADDICTION TO SUCCESS. We have been very successful, so now we are rather 'hooked' on always getting an excellent result. This drives us on. This ensures we stay on top of all those little details that must not go wrong.
8. ENJOYING WHAT WE DO. Regarded here as Tony's oddest of all his odd beliefs. When I started I could make no money. For years. Treats like holidays, I became convinced would never happen. So I decided I'd do my daily job, my business, in as enjoyable a way as possible. Then I wouldn't need holidays. I am still enjoying it; the fun keeps us going. And it rubs off on customers too. They like talking to happy people. I hope that whenever anyone at Laithwaites has the choice "shall I do this the boring way, or the enjoyable way?" they know which way to go.
There you go. I said it wasn't Einstein. But maybe it'll help.