Monday, 7 March 2011

Diary. Chile.

So why am I on this plane headed to Santiago, Chile? I've always felt the need to ask myself that. It’s the price of the tickets! Always was an expensive trip.

I know Chile is nearer than Australia. But it doesn't seem it.
Encouraged by Hugh Johnson who as a very early Chile enthusiast (shipped an entire barrel of Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon to his home back in the '70's - seriously enthusiastic or what?) I first went over in '85, I think.

I found this enterprising Basque chap (name of Eyzaguirre or something like that) had set up the first real wine estate; everything else was either Big Companies or smallholdings. He called it 'The Basques' - 'Los Vascos'. Rich, thick, dark Cabernet, it was an amazing deal. We sold tons. Such an obvious winner, the Estate was soon snapped up by the Lafite Rothschilds and is today still the outstanding player in Chile.

In the late eighties, having failed to find any white wines worth buying, but believing there was much more to Chile than Cabernet Sauvignon, we signed a serious winemaking contract with a Company called Canepa (necessitating a flight there and back in 48 hours!!!) We sent the famous Martin Shaw (of Shaw + Smith fame) to do a vintage. Stunning result. He made 12 wines: Cabs, Merlot, Pinot, Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon etc etc. All bright, clean, fresh modern styles never ever seen before and bargain prices. Sold a ship-load, we did.

For a year or two we were 70% of Chilean exports. That justified two trips.

And it’s gone on in similar vein ever since. Our buyer Becca improves and expands the range every visit.

Chile is very, very important for us. So this trip is well overdue. I've a lot of people to thank.

1 comment: