Friday, 16 July 2010

Marlow

Take a few days off, go on the river and what happens? After three months’ drought (n/a North of Watford) the heavens open. Everything is damp. Me, boat, bed, dogs, bread.

Saved only last night by two gorgeous ladies dropping by with a bottle of Tatachilla Padthaway 2002 Longbottom Vineyard. Now there's a wine to damp proof body and soul! Not a wine but as HJ said, "More like a wine, a three course meal and a fat cigar all in one bottle".

Massively concentrated Australian sun, now mellow perfection, from the winery I most loved in McLaren Vale's Main Street (where I sent young Henry as apprentice) which, alas, is no more. Rationalised! (Killed by Accountants).

But what great wines it left behind. But... Michael Fragos is still making wine - looking unfeasibly young and fit - with undimmed passion; 'Steeple Block' is now the name. Try.


Visit laithwaites.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Funnily enough, I was drinking some Steeple Block myself last night. Absolutely delicious and that "take a sip and the flavour fills your whole head" richness I love in a good red wine.

    ReplyDelete